Monday, February 3, 2014

Don't Count Every Moment, Make Every Moment Count


Spanish is for Spaniards and Mexicans. They speak Castellano here. Quien Supa (who knew)?
Like the apostles of the Bible, or the missionaries in DyC (D&C), we have been promised that we will  have sufficient for our needs. This is true, seeing as I am still breathing, but in all honesty, we are living just barely above poverty. For days, my comp. and I have had no money, because we both spent the rest of our personal accounts for this month, and the missionary fund money ran out the 2 week after paying rent and food. We get by, and we´re not suffering, but this is definetly a humbling experience. So that´s the sitch ahora (now), and esta bien (it's good).
Last Friday was noche de missional, it´s like a mini mutal every friday at 7:30! the Missionaries direct and have a message, a mini lesson, then games and refreshments. This week, Hma. Martinez and I were in charge and the Bishop asked us to teach about fasting. So we showed this hilarious video from the 80´s about this guy fasting. and WOW, it was me about a million times when I have been fasting. Obviously, I´ve learned through the scriptures and through example that we fast with smiles on our faces and end with simple meals, and what not. but the one scripture that I learned the most from...is in the LDM (Book of Mormon), I think in Alma, it talked about the sons of Mosiah, fasting. It´s cool, because even as missionaries, who have dedicated all that we HAVE. literally our time, comfort, sanity, money, pride and dignity to this work, we still need to work even more for the help of the Lord. That´s how important this work is to Heavenly Father. The sons of Mosiah fasted for miracles. We need miracles in this area. Our area of Morales 2 has NO members. 0 help 0 references 0 people coming to church when they said they would. But I little by little, I know our fasts, our prayers and our work will be answered. In fact, this Sunday we except 6 poeple to come. we called and waited. they didnt show, but in sacrament meeting were 7 people in our area, that had come, 7 people who we hadn´t even met! and one was a family we taught once. Hma. Martinez was a little glum that our progressing investigadores didnt show up, because that means their baptisms are delayed. but the LORD asnwered our prayers. idk about her, but I really was just waiting for the poeple of our area to show up. and indeed they did. We don´t command God. He commands everything in this world. When we fast for miracles, I have a testimony and the faith and the HOPE, that miracles we will receive, no matter what form they may be in. 
So anyway, after the lesson we were excepted to entertain around 30 jovens (youths) with a game! They can be a tough crowd, especially with us, because we´re knew, and we´re sisters. BUT, don´t you worry, I won their hearts with a good game of ´do you love your neighboor´or ama su vesino....something like that. So I explained the game to Hma. Martinez last night to explain for everyone at the noche de missional, haha, and no one understood. So I got up and tried to explain it and everyone was like, oh! ok, now we get it. So now, whenever soeone tries to explain something vague, they just say, ask the gringa to explain! Not because I{m just so much more eloquent, but because I speak in terms of a child right now, and so if a child can understand me, anyone can. So that was fun, especially since I was always running around because i never knew what they were saying, so I lost probably 10 times. Something they do here, with with people who lose a game more than 3 times, I was def. one of these, they bring them to the front and have them do the pato. It´s like the chicken dance, but the duck dance. we all looked silly and you look dumb doing it, but  if it makes the people happy...
Thank you a million times over for everyone who has given me little pieces of advice, of comfort and of guidance. Everyday has its struggles, and everyday, I know that the Lord will let me capably survive the next day after that. I shared what Charity told me with the branch in noche de missional, and roughly translated it into spanish for them. It lost its charm, but not its significance. She told me that, I should not count every moment, but to make every moment count. I likened it to fasting, and I liken it to my days, my weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment